William D. Rutherford is the sole shareholder of CRA Architects. He grew up in Madison, Florida and graduated from North Florida Community College and the University of Florida. Prior to becoming an architect he pursued all aspects of the building and restoration business by working for his father, Dawson Rutherford in the family owned construction company. He later served as a Project Manager for the Florida Department of Management Services and as the Development Officer for Winewood Corporation where he learned the financial aspects of the business. In 1972, after meeting and working with Joe Clemons on a Winewood project he accepted Joe’s invitation to join CRA. Bill considers his three mentors to be his father, Dawson Rutherford; Joe Clemons; and CEO of Winewood Real Estate and Construction, William Cartee.
Mr. Rutherford is involved in a multitude of organizations, and holds leadership positions in many, including:
- Advisory Board for FAMU School of Architecture
- Madison County Bank, Founding Board Member & Board Chair
- First Baptist Church of Madison, Chairman of the Board of Trustees
- Southern Scholarship Foundation Board Member
- Florida Youth Home Boys Ranch
- American Institute of Architects
- Disaster Recovery Institute International, Certified Disaster Recovery Planner
- American Correctional Association
- American Hospital Association
- Florida Educational Facilities Planners Association, Inc.
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards